#11 Make sure you start a routine as soon as possible. Suggested time with some success is at 3 months of age. They are able to sleep longer and take naps throughout the day and it will make life a lot easier.
Younger than 3 months it would be harder due to feeding and off sleep patterns coming from pregnancy, so stick to it and do not give up, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
#12 The 5 S’s
The 5 S’s are from the book The Happiest Baby on the Block. It helps you with tips for you and your baby. But what I am going to focus on is the 5 S’s to help your baby sleep better.
- Swaddling- Tight Wrapping
- Side- Laying the baby on his/her side under your arms and the head in your hands.
- Shushing- Shush loudly in the baby’s ear or have white noise that is loud (vacuum, white noise app on your phone etc…)
- Swinging- Rhythmic, jiggly motion for example, while gently rocking your baby from side to side in a small and quick movement. Do Not Shake the Baby!
- Sucking- Sucking on anything from your nipple or finger to a pacifier, usually the pacifier or your finger works if your baby is on its side with his/her head on your hands. If you were holding your baby facing your body then your nipple would work.
These steps must be done exactly right in order for it to work. You may find a detailed description of these steps in the book The Happiest Baby on the Block.
“Love your family and watch them grow, share your story so Mom’s will know.”